Saturday, June 20, 2009

Power out + dark grocery store + pharmacy = Me working in the dark!


Last night we had yet another sweet Iowa storm. Apparently there were sustained 70 mph winds, the sky was green, lotsa thunder and lightning... all of this is second hand though... I was stuck in my windowless pharmacy just listening to it. Then, the power went out... for 6 hours. I was only there for about 4 hours of darkness. And you would think dark + pharmacy = get to go home, but no such luck. Darn backup batteries! I had 1 functioning computer, my register worked... what more do you need... oh yeah light to read and count by. flashlight! Solved. So i worked in the dark for 4 hours, with creepy people staring me down (everyone is creepy in the dark by the way), and 30 minutes into it a kitchen employee comes running up and asks

Them: "Are you a nurse?"
Me: "hmmm... no but what do you need?"
Them: "someone's choking in the kitchen. No I didn't call 911, they didn't want me to"
Me: once again... hmmm... as I run across the store.

Don't worry she was fine and I didn't have to brush up my rusty first aid skills. She was apparently breathing the whole time, just had something stuck in her throat and someone did the heimlich on her anyway and she had a piece of food lodged in her esophagus that she just had to "spew up". I then sat with her for 5 or so minutes while she "spewed" in a bucket... lovely!

Ahh... Friday nights at HyVee!

5 comments:

mom said...

I must be getting old - that is too much excitement for me! Sounds like you hndled it capably and sensibly, though. I wouldn't expect anything else. Sorry you missed the exciting storm, tho. Did you have a tech with you in the pharmacy or were you by yourself? I can't believe they didn't shutdown the store. Don't they worry about shoplifters? Did you have any customers in the pharmacy?
Keep being safe!
Love, Mom

rychelle said...

I was at the "other" Hyvee at the time of the storm...as we left to drive home it was a little green out. I really wanted to see a tornado, DARN! Sorry you got stuck indoors, at least you got less wet.

Kristen and Ryan said...

that picture reminds me of pee wees big adventure!
there was a power outage when I was in dental hygiene school once and my wacko teacher tried to have us buddy up with flashlights held over our patients head....it wasn't long until we convinced her to just let us go!

Becky said...

I had no idea you were trapped in the dark! That is crazy! Why didn't you just go home? I am totally confused!!! That is so weird!!!

mini-wheats said...

What an eventful day at work! I think I would be creeped out with everyone in the dark too! Everyone looks so different, and I have to admit that I have a fear of strangers! Stranger+ dark atmosphere= creepy for sure!