Monday, September 15, 2008

Mount Rushmore





Our long trip across the U.S. let us make a fun stop at Mount Rushmore in South Dakota... it was good to have a stop like that before the rest of South Dakota, because let me tell you the rest of that state is a whole lot of NOTHING! Just miles and miles of prairie. Not much to say about Mount Rushmore itself, I did learn that Pres Lincoln was orignally supposed to be on the LEFT of Pres Washington, but the rock was too unstable and he kept falling apart. AND the artist that designed the monument was LDS, like me. :)

Our other South Dakota stop was in Wall, the direct result of a deluge of media. Starting about 30 miles before Wall, SD there were little billboards every mile or so reading: Fresh Pie; Homemade Ice Cream; Free Ice Water; 5 cent Coffee; etc. all at Wall Drug. The media did it's job and we made a fun stop at Wall Drug... where there was not a single Pharmacist on duty, just one big tourist trap. Got to ride a jackelope and a bucking bronco though.



4 comments:

Hilary said...

Looks FUN!

Are you so bored you are blogging?!

How is Iowa?

143 (I Love You)

Kristen and Ryan said...

I had almost given up on you guys! ryan said jesse said mt rushmore was awesome. fun you got to see one of america's big tourist places (and yes, I was talking about wall drug). I got to see the alamo....did you know it doesn't have a basement?
keep up the posts!

Natalie said...

haha... no not so bored that i'm blogging. just that every person i talk to in the family tells me that i HAVE to start blogging again!

Jenne said...

My kids want to know if you found any treasure while you were at Mt Rushmore? If so, send some my way!
Jeremy